Would you like to boost your knowledge of this vibrant country? Take a look at these 26 facts about Japan!
- Japan is a culturally rich archipelago of nearly 7,000 islands in east Asia… that’s right, 7,000!
- Despite containing such a vast number of islands, only 430 are inhabited.
- Its nearest neighbours are Russia to the north, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and Philippines to the south and Taiwan, China, South Korea and North Korea to the west.
- To watch authentic Geishas, sample some delicious food and travel this amazing country, head for the coordinates of 35.6833° N, 139.7667° E.
- The terrain here is mostly mountainous and rugged…
- …In fact, this mountainous country has over 100 active volcanoes!
- The total land area of Japan is 145,902 square miles (377,887 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around 1.5 times the size of the UK.
- Japan’s population was 126,919,659 in 2015…
- …that’s around twice the population of the UK!
- Residents here are known as Japanese.
- The capital is Tokyo; it covers an area of 844 square miles (2,188 square kilometres) and had a population of 38,001,000 in 2015 – that’s a lot of people!
- The Japanese enjoy a tropical climate in the south and a cool temperate climate in the north, with temperatures rarely dropping below 0°C throughout the country.
- The official language of Japan is… why, Japanese of course!
- Japanese Yen is the official currency here.
- The average life span here is 85 years, and Japanese women are statistically the longest living in the world – tell us your secrets!
- The Japanese are fanatical about being punctual; Japanese trains have an average delay of only 18 seconds!
- Pets are not an unusual sight in this wonderful country; in fact, there are around 5 million more registered pet cats and dogs than children under 15 in Japan!
- Apparently, around 24 billion pairs of chopsticks are used in Japan each year!
- Revellers beware! Late night dancing is actually outlawed in Japan! The law was established in 1948 much to the dismay of youthful partygoers but is due to change in 2016.
- Did you know raised floors in Japanese homes indicate when you should remove your shoes? Certainly something to remember!
- This healthy country grows rice, vegetables, sugar beets and fruit; they also rear cattle and pigs, catch fish and produce dairy products.
- Its industry consists of electronic equipment, machine tools, motor vehicles, steel and non ferrous metals.
- Japan exports motor vehicles, office machinery, chemicals and electronic components.
- Be prepared to be impressed… Kongō Gumi Co., a construction company in Japan, was the longest running independent company in the world, having been founded in 578 and absorbed as a subsidiary in 2006! Wow.
- Do you know a lucky someone living in, working in or exploring Japan? You can make cheap calls to Japan with Cherry Call – you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 0081.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Japan, head over to the Japan Times website – it’s in English, too!