If you’d like to impress your Russian friends with your local knowledge, take a look at these 25 facts about Russia!
- Russia is a huge country spanning both Europe and Asia!
- It is bordered by Norway and Finland to the northwest, China and North Korea to the southeast, Mongolia and Kazakhstan to the south, Azerbaijan and Georgia to the southwest and Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania and Poland to the west.
- To find yourself in the home of vodka, head for the coordinates 60.0000° N, 90.0000° E.
- The total land area of Russia is 6,592,850 square miles (17,075,400 square kilometres)…
- …that’s more than 70 times the size of the UK!
- This makes it the largest country in the world!
- In fact, Russia is so big that it’s actually larger than Pluto!
- Due to being such a large country, the terrain here varies wildly, from broad plains, to forests, mountains and even Siberian tundra!
- Russia’s population was 142,423,773 in 2015…
- …that means despite its vast size, it only has a little more than twice the UK population!
- As you may already know (or have guessed), residents here are known as Russians.
- The capital is Moscow; it covers an area of 970 square miles (2,511 square kilometres) and had a population of 12.2 million in 2015.
- Russia’s climate ranges from humid continental to subarctic, depending on where you are in the country.
- Did you know that at the nearest point, Russia and USA are only 2.5 miles apart?
- In fact, USA actually purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867 for the princely sum of $7.2 million! That’s right, $7.2 million in 1867!
- Lake Baikal in Siberia is not only the world’s deepest lake at an incredible 5,314 feet deep, but also the world’s largest freshwater lake, covering 12,248 square miles… that’s almost 5 times the size of Devon!
- Russia is also home to the world’s longest railway line at an astonishing 5,772 miles long!
- The official language of Russia is of course, Russian!
- To purchase some crystal clear vodka whilst in Russia you’ll need to exchange your GBP for Russian Ruble, the official currency here.
- Amazingly, until 2013 any alcoholic beverage under 10% proof sold in Russia wasn’t considered alcoholic!
- The average life span here is 65 years.
- Russia grows grain, sunflower seeds, vegetables and sugar beet; they also rear cattle.
- Its industry consists of mining and extractive industries, shipbuilding, machine building and road, rail and communications equipment.
- Russia exports petroleum and petroleum products, wood, wood products, natural gas, metals and fur.
- Do you know someone who lives in Russia? You can make cheap calls to Russia with Cherry Call. Don’t forget to use the international dialling code of 007. Shaken, not stirred.
For all the latest Russian news, head over to the Russian Today website.