If you have family or friends who live in the USA or if you’re looking to move here, take a look at these 24 facts about United States of America and impress the locals with your quiz-busting knowledge!
- United States of America is a large country consisting of 50 states in North America.
- It is bordered by Canada to the north and Mexico to the south.
- Whether you’re planning on becoming a cowboy in the mid-west or a New York urbanite, head for the coordinates 38.8833° N, 77.0167° W to find yourself in ‘The Land of Opportunity’.
- The terrain varies wildly throughout this huge country, with a vast central plain, mountains in the west, hills and low mountains in the east, rugged mountains and valleys in Alaska and volcanic topography in Hawaii.
- The total land area of USA is 3,794,083 square miles (9,826,630 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around half the size of Russia, or around 40 times the size of the UK!
- USA’s population was 321,368,864 in 2015…
- …that’s around 5 times the UK population!
- The capital is Washington D.C.; it covers an area of 68 square miles (177 square kilometres) and had a population of 4.9 million in 2015.
- Americans enjoy a mostly temperate climate, although Alaska is arctic, whilst Hawaii and Florida are tropical.
- Incredibly, Alaska has a larger coastline than all the other 49 states combined!
- Atlanta International Airport has been the busiest airport in the world every year since 2000, and last year processed around 20 million more passengers than Heathrow!
- The official language of USA is of course, English!
- Interestingly, the official state animal of California is the Grizzly Bear, although no Grizzlies have been spotted in California since 1922!
- As you may know, the official currency of the USA is the US Dollar.
- Apparently, 100 acres of pizza are served in the USA every day! That’s a lot of pizza…
- Americans live for an average of 80 years.
- Did you know, 1 in 8 American workers has been employed by McDonald’s?
- Amazingly, the Library of Congress is archiving every Twitter ‘tweet’ ever posted.
- Are you tired of staring at your computer? Well, the average American probably is because they spend more than 10 hours a day using an electronic device!
- USA grows fruits, wheat, corn and other grains; they also rear cattle, catch fish and produce forest products.
- Its industry consists of steel, car manufacturing, petroleum, telecommunications, aerospace, chemicals and electronics.
- USA exports cars, capital goods (products which are used to create other products), industrial supplies, consumer goods and agricultural products.
- If you’re planning on moving to the USA, make sure your friends and family know they can call the USA cheaply with Cherry Call. Don’t forget the international dialling code, which for the USA is 001.
For all the latest news on what’s happening in USA, head over to the USA Today website.