Looking to boost your local knowledge? Take a look at these 23 facts about UAE!
- UAE, or the United Arab Emirates as it’s officially known, is a hot and sandy country in the Middle East.
- It is bordered by Oman to the northeast and east and Saudi Arabia to the south and west. It also has a coastline along the Persian Gulf to the north and the Gulf of Oman to the east.
- To explore the vast desert or the vibrant and bustling cities of Abu Dhabi or Dubai, head for the coordinates of 24.4667° N, 54.3667° E for your very own Emirati experience!
- The terrain here is flat and barren along the coastline, with mountains in the east and sand dunes covering the rest of the country.
- The total land area of UAE is 32,278 square miles (83,600 square kilometres)…
- …that’s roughly 1/3 of the size of the UK.
- UAE’s population was 5,779,760 in 2015…
- …that’s less than 1/10 of the population of the UK!
- Residents of UAE are known as Emiratis
- The capital is Abu Dhabi; it covers an area of 375 square miles (972 square kilometres) and had a population of 1,145,000 in 2015.
- Most Emiratis enjoy a desert climate, with cooler conditions in the eastern mountains.
- The city of Dubai holds the Guinness World Record for the longest driverless metro system with a total of 46.35 miles of track. The temperature in the station is also maintained at a constant 20°C!
- Dubai also boasts two huge shopping malls; the Dubai Mall is the largest shopping mall in the world by total area and houses 1200 shops, an underwater zoo and an ice rink, whilst the Mall of the Emirates boasts an indoor ski slope, over 100 restaurants and cafes and 7900 parking spaces!
- The official language of UAE is Arabic.
- The police forces in UAE have some rather extravagant cars to catch speeders; these include a Lamborghini, a Ferrari and a Bentley!
- United Arab Emirates Dirham is the official currency here.
- The Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi has an ATM installed which actually dispenses gold bars! Yes, that’s right – real gold bars! You can choose from a range of 320 gold products, including gold bars and customised gold coins!
- The average life span here is 77 years.
- UAE grows dates, vegetables and watermelons; they also rear poultry and cattle, catch fish and produce dairy products.
- Its industry consists of petroleum and petrochemicals, aluminium, fertiliser, cement, fishing, construction materials, commercial ship repair, textiles and handicrafts.
- The main exports include crude oil, natural gas, dried fish, dates and re-exports.
- UAE actually boasts the 7th largest oil reserves in the world!
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in UAE? You can make cheap calls to UAE with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00971.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in UAE, head over to the Gulf News website.