Fancy yourself as a bit of a quiz-master? Test your knowledge by taking a look at these 23 facts about Georgia!
- Georgia is a beautifully mountainous country in Asia.
- Even though Georgia is geographically in Asia, it is actually right on the border between Asia and Europe and spans both continents, making it one of only 5 transcontinental countries in the world.
- It is bordered by Russia to the north and Turkey, Armenia and Azerbaijan to the south. It also has a coastline along the Black Sea to the west and the Caspian Sea to the east.
- To explore the wonderful sights and rich history that Georgia has to offer, head for the coordinates of 41.7167° N, 44.7833° E.
- The terrain here is mostly mountainous, with lowlands and basins in the east.
- The total land area of Georgia is 26,911 square miles (69,700 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly smaller than Scotland.
- Georgia’s population was 4,931,226 in 2015…
- …that’s slightly less than Scotland.
- Residents here are known as Georgians.
- The capital is Tbilisi; it covers an area of 135 square miles (350 square kilometres) and had a population of 1,147,000 in 2015.
- The climate in Georgia varies throughout the country and is dependent on altitude, although for the most part Georgians enjoy hot summers and mild winters. Perfect!
- Veronya Cave (also known as Krubera Cave) in Georgia is the deepest cave in the world at an incredible 7,208 feet deep!
- Human remains have been found in Georgia that date back 1.8 million years!
- The official language of Georgia is rather unsurprisingly… Georgian!
- Fancy a bottle or two of Georgian wine? You’ll need to exchange your GBP for Georgian Lari, the official currency here.
- Georgians live for an average of 76 years.
- Georgia gained independence from the former Soviet Union in 1991.
- The oldest known fibres used by humans were discovered in Georgia and date back more than 34,000 years!
- Georgia grows tea, grapes, citrus fruit and hazelnuts; they also rear livestock and produce wine.
- Its industry consists of steel, machine tools, aircraft, mining and electrical appliances.
- The main exports consist of machinery, chemicals, scrap metal, citrus fruits, tea and fuel re-exports.
- Do you know someone living in Georgia? You can make cheap calls to Georgia with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00995.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Georgia, head over to the Georgia Today website.