- Côte d’Ivoire is a beautiful country in West Africa.
- It is bordered by Mali and Burkina Faso to the north, Ghana to the east and Liberia and Guinea to the west; it also has a coastline along the Atlantic Ocean to the south.
- With stunning sandy beaches, gloriously green mountains and sprawling cities, there’s lots to explore in Côte d’Ivoire. To witness its delights for yourself, follow the coordinates 6.8500° N, 5.3000° W.
- The terrain here is dominated by flat-to-undulating plains, with mountains in the northwest.
- The total land area of Côte d’Ivoire is 124,503 square miles (322,462 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around the same size as Norway.
- Côte d’Ivoire’s population was 23,295,302 in 2015…
- …that’s almost 5 times the population of Norway!
- Residents here are known as Ivorian.
- Côte d’Ivoire has two capitals, Yamoussoukro and Abidjan; they cover an area of 1,351 square miles (3,500 square kilometres) and 818 square miles (2,119 square kilometres) and had a population of 259,000 in 2014 and 4,860,000 in 2015 respectively.
- Ivorians living on the coast enjoy a tropical climate, changing to semiarid in the far north.
- Côte d’Ivoire boasts leopards, antelopes, buffalos, pygmy hippopotamuses, monkeys, elephants, panthers, hyaenas, jackals, crocodiles, chimpanzees, zebras and lions, plus a species of worm lizard which is endemic and thus not found anywhere else in the world!
- The official language of Côte d’Ivoire is French, although around 60 native languages are also spoken here.
- Côte d’Ivoire was formerly known as Ivory Coast until it changed its name in 1985.
- West African CFA Franc is the official currency here.
- Former Chelsea United football player Didier Drogba was born in Abidjan!
- The average Ivorian life span is 58 years.
- Music and dance form an important part of celebrations and ceremonies in Côte d’Ivoire.
- Côte d’Ivoire grows coffee, cocoa, palm kernels, bananas and timber; they also catch fish.
- Its industry consists of foodstuffs, tourism, beverages, oil refining, wood products and the assembly of trucks and buses.
- The main exports include coffee, timber, cocoa, cotton and petroleum.
- In fact, Côte d’Ivoire is the world’s largest exporter of cocoa!
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Côte d’Ivoire? You can make cheap calls to Côte d’Ivoire with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00225.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Côte d’Ivoire, head over to the Abidjan.net website.