Is your local knowledge spot on or do you need a refresher? Take a look through our 22 facts about Romania and learn something new today!
- Home to Dracula(!), Romania is a beautiful country in Central Europe.
- It is bordered by Ukraine to the north and east, Moldova to the east, Bulgaria to the south, Serbia and Montenegro to the southwest and Hungary to the northwest. It also has a coastline along the Black Sea to the southeast.
- Are your friends fans of the Dracula stories or do they love trekking through wonderful scenery? Tell them to head for the coordinates of 44.4167° N, 26.1000° E and join you in a Romanian adventure!
- The terrain here is an incredible mix of mountains and forests, with a central basin.
- The total land area of Romania is 92,043 square miles (238,391 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around the same as the entire area of the UK.
- Romania’s population was 21.67 million in 2013…
- …that’s around one third of the population of England!
- The capital is Bucharest; it covers an area of 88 square miles (228 square kilometres) and had a population of 1.87 million in 2015.
- Did you know that the Romanian Palace of Parliament in Bucharest is the largest parliamentary building in the world?
- In 2002, a cave in Romania was found to contain the bones of humans that were alive 40,000 years ago!
- Timisoara was the first mainland European city to be lit by electric street lights in 1884!
- Romanians enjoy a temperate climate with warm, wet summers and cold, cloudy winters with frequent snow.
- The official language of Romania is… Romanian! Although Hungarian and German are also spoken here.
- Romania is apparently the 9th largest wine producer in the world!
- Romanian Leu is the currency you’ll need to sample the local wine.
- The invention of the fountain pen is credited to Petrache Poenaru, a Romanian born inventor, don’t cha know?
- The average life span here is 71 years.
- Romania grows wheat, corn, barley and sugar beets and they also produce eggs here.
- Its industry consists of textiles, footwear, mining, timber, light machinery and car assembly.
- Romania also exports textiles, footwear, metals, metal products, machinery and equipment, minerals and fuels.
- Are you heading to Romania to enjoy a new scenery? Make sure your friends and family know they can call Romania cheaply through Cherry Call, and that the international dialling code for Romania is 0040.
To ensure you know what’s new in Romania, head over to the Agerpres Romanian News Agency (http://www.agerpres.ro/english).