Looking to boost your local knowledge? Take a look at these 21 facts about Mayotte!
- Mayotte is an archipelago and French overseas department in the Indian Ocean.
- Mayotte became independent from Comoros in 1978, but elected to remain a French overseas territory.
- It’s nearest neighbours are Comoros, Tanzania and Kenya to the northwest, Somalia to the north, Seychelles to the northeast, Madagascar to the east and south and Mozambique to the west.
- Fancy a spot of scuba diving or simply to chill out on the beach? Head for the coordinates of 12.8431° S, 45.1383° E to find yourself on the stunning shores of Mayotte!
- The terrain is highly undulating on Grand-Terre, the largest of the 5 islands, with deep ravines and ancient volcanic peaks!
- Of the 5 islands, only 3 are inhabited.
- The total land area of Mayotte is 144 square miles (374 square kilometres)…
- …that’s the same size as North Somerset.
- Mayotte’s population was 223,762 in 2015…
- …that’s around 20,000 more than North Somerset!
- The capital is Mamoudzou; it covers an area of 16 square miles (42 square kilometres) and had a population of 57,281 in 2012.
- Residents here enjoy a tropical climate with hot and humid weather, although it is susceptible to monsoons.
- Mayotte has several endemic wildlife species including various geckos, frogs, birds and butterflies.
- Adventurers will be pleased to know that the warm water surrounding this beautiful island group means there are lots of world class scuba diving opportunities around Mayotte.
- The official language of Mayotte is French, although several native languages are also spoken here.
- As a French overseas territory, Euro is the official currency here.
- The average life span here is 63 years.
- Mayotte grows coffee, coconuts, cinnamon, vanilla and ylang-ylang (perfume essence); they also catch fish and rear livestock.
- Its industry consists of construction and fish processing.
- Mayotte exports coffee, cinnamon, vanilla, coconuts, copra and ylang-ylang.
- Do you know a lucky someone currently living in Mayotte? You can make cheap calls to Mayotte through Cherry Call using the international dialling code of 00262.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Mayotte, head over to the Mayotte Hebdo newspaper website, but be warned, it’s in French!