Looking to boost your local knowledge? Take a look at these 20 facts about Palestine!
- Palestine is a country of partially recognised state territories, including the West Bank and Gaza Strip in the Middle East.
- The West Bank is bordered by Jordan to the east and Israel to the south, west and north, whilst the Gaza Strip is bordered by Israel to the north and east, Egypt to the southwest, with a coastline along the Mediterranean Sea to the west.
- To visit the West Bank for yourself, you’ll need to follow the coordinates of 32.0000° N, 35.3833° E, whilst to explore the Gaza Strip you’ll need the coordinates of 31.4167° N, 34.3333° E.
- The terrain of the West Bank is mostly rugged and dissected upland in the west, with flat plains in the east, whilst the Gaza Strip is flat-to-rolling sand covered coastal plain.
- The total land area of Palestine is 2,401 square miles (6,220 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly smaller than Devon.
- Palestine’s population was 4,654,421 in 2014…
- …that’s around 6 times the population of Devon!
- Residents here are known as Palestinians
- The capital is Ramallah; it covers an area of 6.2 square miles (16 square kilometres) and had a population of 27,092 in 2009.
- Palestinians enjoy a temperate climate with warm to hot summers and mild winters.
- It is possible to see many large wild animals in Palestine, including wild boar, foxes, mountain gazelles, wolves, jackals, hyenas, leopards and the Nubian Ibex (a desert dwelling goat species), plus many species of migratory bird!
- The official languages of Palestine are Arabic and Hebrew.
- Jordanian Dinar and Israeli New Shekel are the official currencies here.
- Did you know that Christmas is celebrated on three different days in Palestine by different religions? Thrice the fun!
- The average life span here is 76 years.
- Palestine grows olives, vegetables, citrus fruits and flowers; they also rear cattle and produce dairy products.
- Its industry consists of quarrying, textiles, small-scale manufacturing, wood carvings, soap, furniture, tourism and food processing.
- The main exports include fruits, vegetables, flowers, olives, stone and occasionally fish.
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Palestine? You can make cheap calls to Palestine with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00970.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Palestine, head over to the Palestine Chronicle website.