20 Glorious Facts about Greenland

Before you set off to see the Northern Lights, take a look at these 22 facts about Greenland!

Geographical statsinteresting facts about Greenland

  1. Greenland is a Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans.
  2. Its nearest neighbours are Canada to the west, Svalbard to the east and Norway, Iceland, United Kingdom and Ireland to the southeast.
  3. To land your ship or plane on the beautiful island of Greenland, head for the coordinates 72.0000° N, 40.0000° W.
  4. Roughly 80% of the terrain here is flat to rolling icecap, whilst the remaining 20% features a mountainous, rocky coast.
  5. The total land area of Greenland is 836,330 square miles (2,166,086 square kilometres)…
  6. …that’s almost 9 times the size of the UK!
  7. It also makes Greenland the world’s largest island!
  8. Greenland’s population was 57,733 in 2015…
  9. …that’s less than 0.1% of the UK population!
  10. That also makes it the least densely populated country in the world!
  11. Residents here are known as Greenlanders.
  12. The capital is Nuuk; it covers an area of 266 square miles (690 square kilometres) and had a population of 17,000 in 2014.
  13. Greenlanders experience an arctic to sub-arctic climate with cool summers and cold winters.
  14. Amazingly, there are no roads between towns in Greenland. Instead, transportation is by either boat or plane!
  15. It is possible to witness the Northern Lights on clear evenings throughout the year!

Social intricacies

  1. The official language of Greenland is… Greenlandic! Danish and English are also spoken here.
  2. Danish Krone is the official currency here.
  3. The average life span here is 72 years.

Industry insights

  1. Greenland rears sheep, reindeer and cattle and they also catch fish. No commercial crops are grown here due to the icecap and weather conditions.
  2. Its industry consists of fish processing, mining, hides and handicrafts.
  3. Greenland exports fish, fish products and metals.

Bonus Fact!

  1. If you’re moving to the icy shores of Greenland or if you know someone who already lives there, take note of the international dialling code 00299 – you’ll need to use this, when making super cheap calls through Cherry Call direct to Greenland!

For all the need-to-know news in Greenland, head over to the Greenland Today Worldwide Magazine website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with a *