Have you found yourself spending a lot of your time in this beautiful country? Maybe a friend or loved one has immigrated and you’ve been left wondering about the local history and geographical facts? Take a look at these 20 interesting facts about Ecuador to brush up on your knowledge!
- Ecuador is a highly biodiverse country which straddles the equator in South America.
- In fact, it is actually named after the equator! ‘Republica del Ecuador’ literally means ‘Republic of the Equator’.
- It is bordered by Colombia to the north and Peru to the east and south. It also has a coastline along the Pacific Ocean to the west.
- Heading off to the jungle for a Ray Mears style adventure? Head for the coordinates of 0.1500° S, 78.3500° W to land yourself in Ecuador!
- The terrain here varies wildly throughout the country. There is a flat-to-rolling eastern jungle, flowing into inter-Andean central highlands and into a delightful coastal plain.
- The total land area of Ecuador is 109,483 square miles (283,560 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly larger than the UK.
- Ecuador’s population was 15.87 million in 2015…
- …that’s less than 1/4 of the UK population!
- Believe it or not, the residents here are known as Ecuadorians.
- The capital is Quito; it covers an area of 125 square miles (324 square kilometres) and had a population of 1.7 million in 2015.
- Ecuadorians enjoy a tropical climate along both the coast and in the Amazonian jungle lowlands; it becomes cooler in the central highlands.
- Want to speak the local lingo? You’ll need to become fluent in Spanish!
- To purchase your Jugos (delicious fruit juices), exchange your GBP for United States Dollar, the official currency here.
- Looking to import your car here? It’ll need to be less than a year old, otherwise it won’t be allowed in!
- The average life span in Ecuador is 71 years.
- Ecuador grows bananas, cacao, coffee, rice and balsa wood; they also rear cattle and catch fish.
- Its industry consists of petroleum, food processing, textiles and metal work.
- Ecuador also exports petroleum, bananas, shrimp, cacao and coffee.
- Has your loved one just moved to Ecuador? You can call Ecuador cheaply through Cherry Call from just 9p a minute – and don’t forget to use the international dialling code of 00593!
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Ecuador, head over to the Ecuador Times (http://www.ecuadortimes.net).