Were you born in this beautiful country or are you moving here in the near future? Take a look at these 20 facts about New Caledonia to test your local knowledge!
- New Caledonia is a French archipelago in the South Pacific Ocean.
- Its nearest neighbours are Solomon Islands to the northwest, Vanuatu to the north, Wallis and Futuna, Fiji and Tonga to the east, New Zealand to the south and Australia to the west.
- The stunning sandy beaches and crystal clear waters of New Caledonia are pretty amazing; to find yourself here, follow the coordinates 21.2500° S, 165.3000° E for your very own New Caledonian adventure!
- The terrain here is dominated by stunning coastal plains with mountains further inland.
- The total land area of New Caledonia is 7,172 square miles (18,575 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly smaller than Wales.
- New Caledonia’s population was 271,615 in 2015…
- …that’s less than 1/10th of the Welsh population!
- Residents here are known as New Caledonians.
- The capital is Nouméa; it covers an area of 17.6 square miles (45.7 square kilometres) and had a population of 181,000 in 2014.
- New Caledonians enjoy a tropical climate with hot and humid summers, followed by a rainy season from December to February.
- There are 22 species of bird endemic to New Caledonia, including the New Caledonian Crow which is known for making its own tools!
- New Caledonia boasts the second longest double barrier reef in the world, with a length of more than 900 miles!
- The official language of New Caledonia is French, although there are 33 local dialects also spoken here!
- Before you set sail for New Caledonia you’ll want to pack a few CFP Francs, the official currency here.
- The average life span of New Caledonians is 78 years.
- This tropical country grows yams, cassava and sweet potato; they also rear cattle and catch fish.
- Its industry consists of tourism, nickel mining and smelting.
- New Caledonia exports ferro-nickels, nickel ore and fish.
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in New Caledonia? You can call New Caledonia cheaply through Cherry Call. Don’t forget to use the international dialling code of 00687.
For all the latest New Caledonian news head over to the New Caledonia Weekly website.