Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 19 facts about Kuala Lumpur!
- Kuala Lumpur is the capital city of Malaysia.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Kwah-luh Loum-poor.
- Kuala Lumpur is Malaysia’s largest city.
- The total land area of Kuala Lumpur is 866 square miles (2,243 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly larger than Greater London.
- Kuala Lumpur’s population was 6,837,000 in 2015…
- …that’s only 2/3 the population of Greater London…
- …and gives it a population density of around 7,895 residents per square mile.
- Kuala Lumpur is located 184 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Kuala Lumpur are known as Malaysians, although they are also known as KLites thanks to Kuala Lumpur being affectionately referred to as KL.
- The Petronas Towers, built in 1996 and located in Kuala Lumpur, are the tallest twin towers in the world and were originally the tallest buildings in the world upon completion!
- Malaysians living in Kuala Lumpur enjoy a tropical rainforest climate with generally warm and wet weather, little temperature fluctuation and an average annual temperature of 28°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Kuala Lumpur? You’ll need the coordinates of 3.1333° N, 101.6833° E.
- Make sure you visit the Menara KL Tower if you’re in Kuala Lumpur; it’s one of the tallest man-made structures in the world and gives a spectacular view across this beautiful city during both the day and night.
- The official language of Kuala Lumpur is Malaysian.
- Kuala Lumpur was established in 1859, but wasn’t actually granted city status until 1972.
- Malaysian Ringgit is the official currency here.
- Malaysia welcomed 25,715,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Kuala Lumpur for its breathtaking modern architecture and wide range of eateries, shopping malls and markets.
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Kuala Lumpur? You can make cheap calls to Kuala Lumpur with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 0060.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Kuala Lumpur, head over to The Star Online website.