Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 18 facts about Chișinău!
- Chișinău is the capital city of Moldova…
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced kee-shee-now.
- The total land area of Chișinău is 47 square miles (123 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly larger than Leicester.
- Chișinău’s population was 725,000 in 2015…
- …that’s around 1.5 times the population of Leicester!
- That gives it a population density of around 15,426 residents per square mile.
- Chișinău is located 279 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Chișinău are known as Moldovans.
- Moldovans living in Chișinău enjoy a humid continental climate with windy and cold winters, followed by hot and dry summers and an average annual temperature of 15°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Chișinău? You’ll need the coordinates of 47.0000° N, 28.9167° E.
- Make sure you visit Ştefan cel Mare Central Park if you’re in Chișinău; it’s the oldest park in Moldova and is nicknamed ‘The Park of Lovers’ due to the number of couples that meet there.
- The official language of Chișinău is Moldovan.
- Moldovan Leu is the official currency here.
- Chișinău generates around 60% of Moldova’s GDP!
- Moldova welcomed 11,500 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Chișinău for its green leafy parks and stunning architecture.
- Just outside of Chișinău is Milestii Mici Village, a wine making plant which boasts cellars with the largest collection of wine in the world with more than 1.5 million bottles!
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Chișinău? You can make cheap calls to Chișinău with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00373.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Chișinău, head over to the 24h Portal National Multimedia website.