Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 18 awesome facts about Amsterdam!
- Amsterdam is the capital city of Netherlands.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Am-stir-dam.
- The total land area of Amsterdam is 85 square miles (220 square kilometres)…
- …that’s twice the size of Bristol.
- Amsterdam’s population was 839,000 in 2016…
- …that’s also roughly twice the population of Bristol…
- …and gives it a population density of around 9,871 residents per square mile.
- Amsterdam is located 7 ft below sea level (yes, you read that right – it’s actually below sea level).
- Residents of Amsterdam are known as Amsterdammers.
- Amsterdammers enjoy an oceanic climate with mild weather throughout both summer and winter and an average annual temperature of 10.2°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Amsterdam? You’ll need the coordinates of 52.3702° N, 4.8952° E.
- Make sure you take a canal boat tour if you’re in Amsterdam; beautiful during both night and day, the 60-or-so miles of canals (some of which are UNESCO protected) are the hub of Amsterdam and a truly unmissable experience.
- The official language of Amsterdam is Dutch.
- Did you know that allegedly 25,000 bicycles end up in the Amsterdam canal system each year?
- Euro is the official currency here.
- Fancy a refreshing beverage? Apparently there are more than 1,500 bars and cafes in Amsterdam! That’s a long pub crawl…
- Netherlands welcomed 13,925,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Amsterdam for its laid-back cafe culture and vibrant nightlife.
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Amsterdam? You can make cheap calls to Amsterdam with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 0031.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Amsterdam, head over to The Amsterdam Herald website.