Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 17 facts about Nouakchott!
- Nouakchott is the capital city of Mauritania.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Nwahk-shot.
- The total land area of Nouakchott is 400 square miles (1,036 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around 4 times the size of Birmingham…
- …it also makes Nouakchott one of the largest cities in the Saharan desert!
- Nouakchott’s population was 968,000 in 2015…
- …that’s around 150,000 less than Birmingham…
- …this gives it a population density of around 2,420 residents per square mile.
- Nouakchott is located 23 ft above sea level!
- Despite being in the Saharan desert, Nouakchott actually boasts a coastline along the North Atlantic Ocean!
- Residents of Nouakchott are known as Mauritanians.
- Mauritanians living in Nouakchott enjoy a hot desert climate with a relatively mild temperature range and an average annual temperature of 26°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Nouakchott? You’ll need the coordinates of 18.1000° N, 15.9500° W.
- Make sure you visit the Banc d’Arguin National Park if you’re in Nouakchott; it’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site where you can see a variety of migrating birds, seals, turtles, dolphins and around 45 species of fish!
- The official language of Nouakchott is Arabic.
- Mauritanian Ouguiya is the official currency here.
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Nouakchott? You can make cheap calls to Nouakchott with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00222.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Nouakchott, head over to the IRIN website.