Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 17 facts about Luxembourg City!
- Luxembourg City is the capital city of Luxembourg.
- The total land area of Luxembourg City is 20 square miles (51 square kilometres)…
- …that’s roughly the same size as Luton!
- Luxembourg City’s population was 107,000 in 2014…
- …that’s less than half the population of Luton!
- That gives it a population density of around 5,350 residents per square mile.
- Luxembourg City is located 1,034ft above sea level!
- Residents of Luxembourg City are known as Luxembourgers.
- Luxembourgers living in Luxembourg City enjoy a mild oceanic climate with temperate summers and cool winters and an average annual temperature of 9°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Luxembourg City? You’ll need the coordinates of 49.6117° N, 6.1300° E.
- Thanks to its grand history as a highly fortified site, the old quarters of Luxembourg City are actually protected as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Make sure you visit the old quarters of Luxembourg City if you’re in Luxembourg; it’s a beautiful part of the city, steeped in history. Although much of the fortifications have been dismantled, some still remain in part and their grand scale give you an idea of how well protected the city once was.
- The official language of Luxembourg City is French, although German and Luxembourgish are also commonly spoken.
- A hive of business activity, Luxembourg City is actually home to the European headquarters of Paypal, Amazon and Skype!
- Euro is the official currency here.
- Luxembourg welcomed 945,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of which flock to Luxembourg City to indulge in the beautiful sights and rich culture.
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Luxembourg? You can make cheap calls to Luxembourg with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00352.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Luxembourg, head over to the Luxembourg Wort website.