Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 17 facts about Guatemala City!
1. Guatemala City, also known simply as Guatemala, is the capital city of Guatemala (unsurprisingly!).
2. Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Gwaa-tuh-maa-luh.
3. The total land area of Guatemala City is 267 square miles (692 square kilometres)…
4. …that’s roughly 1.5 times the size of Greater Manchester.
5. In fact, Guatemala City is the largest city in Central America!
6. Guatemala City’s population was 2,918,000 in 2015…
7. …that’s roughly the same population as Greater Manchester…
8. …and gives it a population density of around 10,929 residents per square mile.
9. Guatemala City is located 4,900 ft above sea level.
10. Residents of Guatemala City are known as Guatemalans.
11. Guatemalans living in Guatemala City enjoy a tropical savanna climate with little temperature variation – the average temperature ranges from 22°C to 28°C throughout the year.
12. Looking to fly yourself to Guatemala City? You’ll need the coordinates of 14.6349° N, 90.5069° W.
13. Make sure you visit Palacio Nacional de la Cultura (National Palace) if you’re in Guatemala City; once the president’s headquarters, the palace is now a museum and a great example of local architecture at its best!
14. The official language of Guatemala City is Spanish.
15. Guatemalan Quetzal is the official currency here.
16. Guatemala welcomed 1,455,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Guatemala City for its rich culture, great coffee and high concentration of fine restaurants!
17. Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Guatemala City? You can make cheap calls to Guatemala City with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00502.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Guatemala City, head over to the Caribbean News Now website.