Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 17 facts about Dushanbe!
- Dushanbe is the capital city of Tajikistan.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Do-shan-bay.
- The total land area of Dushanbe is 48 square miles (125 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly smaller than Bristol.
- Dushanbe’s population was 822,000 in 2015…
- …that’s around 200,000 more than Bristol…
- …and gives it a population density of around 17,125 residents per square mile.
- Dushanbe is located 2,316 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Dushanbe are known as Tajikistanis.
- Tajikistanis living in Dushanbe enjoy a Mediterranean climate with hot and dry summers, followed by cool winters and an average annual temperature of 14.7°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Dushanbe? You’ll need the coordinates of 38.5598° N, 68.7870° E.
- Make sure you visit Rudaki Park if you’re in Dushanbe; it’s a beautiful and peaceful park, perfect for taking a gentle stroll and escaping all the hustle and bustle that this great city has to offer!
- The official language of Dushanbe is Tajik.
- The name ‘Dushanbe’ actually translates as ‘Monday’! The city was named Monday because it grew from a village which held a popular market on Mondays!
- Tajikistani Somoni is the official currency here.
- Tajikistan welcomed 208,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Dushanbe for its wonderful climate, thriving culture and beautiful buildings.
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Dushanbe? You can make cheap calls to Dushanbe with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 00992.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Dushanbe, head over to the Asia Plus website.