Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 17 facts about Basseterre!
- Basseterre is the capital city of Saint Kitts and Nevis.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Basse-tear.
- The total land area of Basseterre is 2.5 square miles (6.1 square kilometres)…
- …that’s roughly 1/5 of the size of Slough.
- Basseterre’s population was 14,000 in 2014…
- …that’s just over 1/8 of the population of Slough…
- …and gives it a population density of around 5,600 residents per square mile.
- Basseterre is located 50 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Basseterre are known as Kittitians.
- Kittitians living in Basseterre enjoy a tropical rainforest climate with little temperature variation, a rainy season from May to November and an average annual temperature of 27°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Basseterre? You’ll need the coordinates of 17.3000° N, 62.7333° E.
- Make sure you visit the Kitts Scenic Railway if you’re in Basseterre; the 3 hour long ride provides a great way to relax whilst you witness some of the island’s most beautiful areas, all from the comfort of your seat!
- The official language of Basseterre is English.
- If you fancy exploring more of this beautiful island, why not hire a car? You’ll need to arrange a temporary driving permit before you’re allowed on the road, though!
- East Caribbean Dollar is the official currency here.
- Saint Kitts and Nevis welcomed 107,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Basseterre for its beautiful beaches and ample diving, snorkelling, surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing and jet skiing activities.
- Do you know someone lucky enough to live in Basseterre? You can make cheap calls to Basseterre with Cherry Call – don’t forget, you’ll also need to use the international dialling code of 001869.
To keep up-to-date with what’s going on in Basseterre, head over to The St Kitts and Nevis Observer website.